Superset Switch-Up for Your Summer Shred
Summer has come around again, and winter bulking is done. Short sleeve shirts and muscle tanks are in, so if your arms aren’t showing like you want, then targeting your biceps, triceps, forearms and shoulders is a priority. Or, if you’re plateauing or getting bored with your regular routine, this superset switch-up hits multiple muscle groups to help stimulate new growth and definition.
#1 DUMBBELL CURL TO OVERHEAD PRESS
Sounds like an odd combination, but this exercise targets your forearms all the way up to your deltoids. Proper control of your body’s balance is necessary to perform this exercise, so start off with low weight to better understand the range of motion being placed on your shoulders.
- You start off in the standing dumbbell curling position; palms forward with legs shoulder width apart.
- Curl the dumbbells to your shoulders and pause for a second.
- Press the weights overhead while simultaneously twisting your palms forward until fully pressed.
- Reverse the process down to starting position and repeat for 5 sets x 12 reps.
#2 REVERSE GRIP BARBELL BENT OVER ROW
People often assume that back exercises only target the back muscles, but reverse grip rows increase the potential for muscular growth in your arms just as-much-as your back.
- Standing with feet firm and shoulder width apart, bend at the hips and grasp barbell with palms facing upwards.
- Pull barbell up as if performing a deadlift, then slowly push your hips back and lean chest forward forming a 45 degree angle with body.
- Pull barbell in towards your hip and pause just after elbows pass your torso.
- Lower bar down to starting position and repeat for 5 sets x 12 reps.
#3 DECLINE DUMBBELL SKULL CRUSHERS
Skull crushers are designed to target your triceps primarily with your forearms being used as secondary muscles. For an even better stretch and range of motion, try this out on a decline bench.
- Position legs in position on the decline bench and grasp dumbbells firmly; palms towards your body.
- Safely lower your back down and stay flat against the bench the entire lift.
- Press dumbbells away from your body with palms remaining in neutral grip.
- Keeping elbows in place, slowly lower the weights down with forearms until dumbbells have reached your ears.
- Pause and reverse the movement until arms are extended again. Perform 5 sets x 12 reps.
#4 REVERSE SINGLE DUMBBELL PREACHER CURL
Reverse grip curls target your forearms and biceps. However, preacher curls help to better isolate your arms and prevents your larger muscle groups from assisting with the lift.
- Place the back of your arm against the padding with palm facing away from you.
- Slowly lower dumbbell until elbow is almost fully extended but slightly bent.
- Pull the dumbbell back to starting point and pause to squeeze grip. Perform 5 sets x 12 reps